Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Yarn Along - Absence and Rectangulum




I'm here again, joining Ginny for Yarn Along!

 I tried two years ago to blog regularly - I wanted to be like you all; knitting, reading, blogging.  I'll be honest, I even stopped clicking on Yarn Along on Wednesdays - it was my favorite day of the week for so long.  I can't believe how many Wednesdays went by without me admiring all the beautiful work out there and all the tips on good reads.  I had stopped knitting.  I was watching TV without knitting! What is that?  Silliness I'd say.



Truthfully, I think the break was good for me.  The most recent combination of becoming an emptynester, the clear signs of it changing to my favorite season here in Maine, and visiting a yarn and fabric store I hadn't been to in years, tipped the scale in favor of me picking up my favorite hobby again.  One day last week I found myself in Waterville, Maine where there is a great store for all things crafty;  Yardgoods Center.  The owner, Joyce, greeted me right away.  She is a vibrant person; the kind of person who makes you feel like you're a long lost friend even though we had never met.  I love that kind of person!  She showed me around, asked a lot of question about my skill level and encouraged me to attend knitting classes (yes please) and before I knew it an hour and a half was gone!  I left with Seven Sisters Arts  yarn from beautiful Blue Hill, Maine and a pattern for Rectangulum. It was a shop local win win!



It's going well, albeit slow,  and working with fingering weight yarn is not something I thought I would ever like to try again; it's not within my comfort zone, I'm so glad I took the chance on it.  It's been fun to work with and although it doesn't really show here, I'm finding it is going quicker than I anticipated (Joyce told me it would).  There's nothing fancy here, it's just garter stitching, but I'm good with that. Just getting back on the horse so to speak.



I hope to share my progress every week with you all and I hope you'll check in. I'm also hopeful that the accountability to my blog will help speed things along.  I want to say that all you Yarn Alongers are so talented and committed to your craft, it truly is inspirational.

Reading:



Bedtime Kindle Read:  Me Before You.  Okay so after reading the Light Between Oceans (loved) I thought I would pick up another story that was being made into a movie. It's an easy, fast read.  I haven't watched any of the movie trailers because I don't want to know any more than what I'm reading, but I'll be honest, I think I see where this is going and I'm closing in on the end, so....gulp.

Daytime/Early Evening Read:  I'm finding I like the author's voice in her writing, I've just started it and I KNOW the subject matter is something I need right now.


Can't wait to see what you all are up to.  Happy Yarn Along Wednesday!

3 comments:

  1. Welcome back! That yarn is lovely, I hope you are enjoying working with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm really enjoying working with it; I'm pleasantly surpised!

      Delete
    2. Thank you! I'm really enjoying working with it; I'm pleasantly surpised!

      Delete