Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Forever Baby Blanket Continues

Knitting: I'm still entertaining my baby blue Forever Baby Blanket.  True confession, I'm feeling discouraged this week with this project.  I'm not a fast knitter, certainly inexperienced with big projects and I made some mistakes in the beginning that I chose to slog through instead of fixing because 1) I had ripped it out so many times to start again and 2) my inexperience with fixing mistakes didn't help.  Ugh!  I'm fighting the feelings of inadequacy with knitting.  BUT I'm trying to keep in mind that as long as I maintain accountability through blogging and continuing to practice will help me progress.





I want to finish it, but there are so many other things I want to do too.  Now that I'm in a good rhythm with the pattern, it's been a while since there has been a mistake - which helps, but I get discouraged looking at the overall project.

I have another project ready to start...the Hand-Painted Preemie Hat for the twins. I'm going to knit the newborn size.  My decision to not choose the preemie size, I feel, goes along with my prayers that those babies will come to full term before making their entrance to the world.  A while back I purchased a skein of Cascade Yarns Heritage Paint Collection in Cherry Berry to make booties, so I think there will be plenty to make two hats and two sets of booties.  I've never really  had more than one project going at a time...many of you seem to, so I think I will give it a try.

Reading:  Still reading Echo In The Bone.  The combination of this past week being  a bear at work and finding myself drained at the end of the day (the only time I have to read) = not much progress with getting through this book. The Goldfinch up next to read on my Kindle, I can't wait to get started

Onward and upward by next week!  Thanks for stopping by, I really do appreciate it.  I know I'm new here, so any words of encouragement and/or sharing your mistake stories would be so appreciated.  Can't wait to see what  you all have on your needles and see what your reading.

Joining Ginny on my favorite day on the internet (thankfully Time Warner fixed the wide spread outage this morning)  I won't lie, I was a little nervous that I wouldn't be able to Yarn Along today! :-)




6 comments:

  1. The preemie hat is seriously cute! Here's hoping they come full term or close to it! I wouldn't worry too much about mistakes at the beginning of the blanket. Chances are you will be the only one who notices. And you may find that you like having several projects going at once, it gives you some variety to work on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the kind words. The encouragement helps so much. Can't wait to get started on the cute little hats!

      Delete
  2. I've been making so many mistakes lately, but I feel like every time I make a mistake figuring out how to fix it teaches me something new so I guess that's sort of a silver lining :) Fingers crossed the twins go to term

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! These are our very first grandchildren so we are so very excited! I think trying to fix the mistake is something I really must work on because "ripping out and starting over" is sure way to never finish anything!

      Delete
  3. I think it's okay to take a break on something that's making you frustrated, especially when it's a gift. Think of it as that cleaning trick of 20 minutes of work followed by 10 minutes of rest. You could reward yourself with some preemie hat time with certain blocks of blanket knitting (one inch of each?).
    I hope the babies keep baking! The longer they're inside, the better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your thoughts. I love the comments and will definitely give that a try over the long weekend. You're from the Northeast too? Then you would appreciate the classic early fall morning feel we're having that we're having this morning :)

      Delete