Monday, August 25, 2014

Nikko Blue Hydrangea

Living in New England; July/August is when hydrangeas are in full bloom and are in their full glory.  I've lived here all my life, but it wasn't until my husband and I visited Nantucket that I REALLY noticed them.  I think it's because everything on Nantucket Island is postcard perfect.  I recall one night walking back to the inn after dinner saying to my husband I feel like we're walking on a Hollywood movie set. Quaint, clean, quiet, and just beautiful.  That trip, a gift from my stepdaughter, was four years ago and we still beam when we speak of it.

Below is a picture of the front of the Coffin House, Nantucket; the inn where we stayed.



Our house is not Nantucket beautiful.  But it's home and I wanted those hydrangeas in front of my house, because they are so beautiful and would always remind us of our trip.  I dabble in a little gardening, I'm usually indecisive when it comes to plants to buy and where to place them.  (we have a lot of shade)  So three years ago I went to my local garden store, and ended up being helped by a man who had landscaping experience on Cape Cod.  I started to mention Nantucket  and the beautiful light blue hydrangeas and he said "Nikko Blue Hydrangeas" "Very popular on the Cape"  In no time at all after that, he put two in my cart  and told me what to do.  They were already in bloom when I purchased them so I couldn't wait for the next year to see if they would bloom and did they deliver!



I love that it's some of the first signs of life after a long Maine winter.  In the spring, when I  start removing the mound of mulch, placed after the plant has been cut back in late fall, there are always several small, bright green leaves waiting to greet me.  Beautiful green foliage adorns the front flower bed with promise of more color somewhere in mid to late July.  I leave the flowers on for as long I can then right about this time of year, when they are starting to fade, I clip a few and bring them inside to be placed in my white pitcher.






Just three blooms fill this container!

  
I love living in the Northeast (especially this time of year).  Warm days, cool nights and putting my favorite flower inside my home after enjoying them for so long outside my home.  Thank you Nantucket.






No comments:

Post a Comment