Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Yarn Along with baby news and a new bittersweet project

Good morning Yarn Alongers -

I'll start off with the good news.  The twins are....GIRLS!  Two very healthy baby girls growing on schedule and making their parents and all of our hearts soar with happines with every strong heartbeat!

We thank God for these two little ladies baking away in momma's belly.  I can't wait to meet them in January/February.  More baby knitting ahead with more hints of pink (mom still prefers neutrals) I'm hoping she won't mind a little pink in some of the knits from Nanny Liz :)

The bad news is this:  I received a call from my sister on Sunday evening.  She's been diagnosed with a very serious illness that she is keeping somewhat underwraps at the moment until she knows more, but needless to say it's not the kind of phone call one wants to receive from anyone, particularly a loved one. So as I absorbed the news I decided to stop thinking baby knits for the time being and start thinking prayer shawl for my beloved big sister (from here on out referred to as Sissy).

On Monday, with her and a shawl in mind, I picked up this pattern and this lovely merino/silk blend yarn.  The color is silver and it is gorgeous!


I bet many of you reading this have made prayers shawls before.  This is my first and I hope it turns out beautifully - and that my hands will work quickly so she'll have it for those cold Vermont winters.

There are two people in my life that are incredibly unselfish. My sister and my husband.  They are givers. Sissy is a Nurse Practitioner for about 30 years - a calling she worked very hard to fulfill as a single mother 800 miles from home and family.  I could spend paragraphs and paragraphs describing my adoration for my Sissy, but I think I will share those stories for the weeks to come as I make progress on this shawl.  A shawl certainly to be filled with prayer and gifted in love.  Life is full of change and challenges.  It's hard to accept sometimes - especially when the change is challenging.  My sister needs me...those four words are very powerful to me.  I'm the baby of the family, she's the first, I've always needed her.  Well it's my turn now and I'm going to be there for her for however long she needs me.

Reading:  Erika and I discussed this book Bringing Up Bebe.  I've always wanted to read it, even though it's been a LONG time since my babies were bebes (and I think they turned out pretty darn well!)  I understand that it's a controversial read but thought I would give it a try and then pass it along to Erika to see what she thinks.  I'll let you know.  Any of you read this?  If so I'd love to hear your thoughts.




Thank you for stopping by and reading about my happiness and my sadness this week.  I hope all is well with you and that you're enjoying your reads and your creative hands are busy as can be creating lovely handmades !  Joining Ginny













20 comments:

  1. I am sorry to hear about your sister- that is definitely not the kind of news anyone ever wants to hear. How exciting about the baby girls :) it is hard when good news and bad news are juxtaposed like that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is all a bit overwhelming! Thank you for the kind words :)

      Delete
  2. I've knitted one "official" prayer shawl, but I think all knitting is like a prayer...each stitch is a good thought, you know? I hope your sister will eventually be ok.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, I do pray a lot while knitting. Especially if the project is intended to be gifted to someone special. Thank you, her spirits are quite high and I'm going to encourage that every chance I get.

      Delete
  3. Your sister is in my prayers. I look forward to hearing more stories about her. Congrats on your little girls. That is wonderful news <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your prayers Donna. She's an inspiration for sure.

      Delete
  4. Visiting from Ginny's blog today. Saying prayers for your sister and sending hugs to you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa I appreciate the prayers and hugs so very much :)

      Delete
  5. Lifting up both you and your sister and those babies! So grateful that you have this relationship with your "sissy":)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you Wanda! I do love my sissy :)

      Delete
    2. I see that you are from Maine! One of my most favorite states. I have been there twice in the last three years!

      Delete
    3. Yes, born and raised here. I'm so glad to know that you like it here. We are pretty lucky and usually take "staycations" as we're about an hour from the coast or the mountains. Any favorite spots?

      Delete
  6. I'm so sorry to hear about your sister and love the thought that you want to start knitting for her first. Wishing you peace and much strength during this time.
    Twin girls is fantastic news!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sylvia! Yes, my sister's diagnosis put things in perspective and I have now worries that there is more than an abundance of love waiting those precious twins but for now, my sissy needs me. :)

      Delete
  7. Hugs and Prayers! Congratulations on the twin baby girls!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Prayers for your sister and for you. Your hands will make quick work of that shawl so that it can envelope her with your love. Congratulations on the twin girls!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so very much Cathie! I will hope my hands will do that beautiful shawl justice! The yarn should help, it's absolutely gorgeous. :)

      Delete
  9. Prayer is powerful and so is a handknit. It's going to be beautiful and just what the doctor ordered.

    ReplyDelete